Lose Weight Sitting Down

This news is so good; you won’t want to take it standing up! Sitting down? Good, because what I’m going to tell you this month can change the way you eat, and as a result–the way you look. The best part of it is that this transformation of body and mind will take place in the comfort of your favorite chair. Sound easy? It is!

Do you realize just how often you eat on your feet? Most of us don’t realize it, but when we stop to count the many times we graze without thought we discover that we’ve picked up a small meal here and there without consideration.

Do any of the following sound familiar?

• Samples at the grocery store
  • A cold pop sitting on the counter while you tend to housework
  • A flavored coffee while you shop
  • Tasting a few bites here and there while cooking dinner
  • Grabbing a candy from your purse
  • Grazing the table at a party
  • Accepting the “try one of these…” from a friend
  • Grabbing a cookie on the run

This type of weight gain brings the old catch phrase to mind “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach,” which isn’t just a snarky remark to toss out at a buffet line—it’s an accurate description of most human beings. If we aren’t visually satisfied with the volume we see on our plate, we aren’t satisfied with our meal, regardless of whether we’re comfortably full or not.

With any reasonable diet, you’re looking at calories-in verses calories-out, whether they’re referred to as “calories” or “points” it’s just basic math. The problems that we face when it comes to this simple equation is that we either choose to ignore the small numbers in hopes that our bodies failed math 101, or we feel cheated when it comes to mealtime because we’re facing a deficit in our account. Been there? I have—today in fact, but I’m waking up and pressing on, with a constant reminder that I am not a slave to the flesh.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. –Romans 8:12,13 KJV

The solution is to offer your body meals that are appealing to those over-sized eyes, yet not so appealing that we break the bank. How do we do this? We behave and we save. A good way to save is by sitting down each and every time we eat. If you feel like grabbing a cookie at 3:00 pm, then do so, but put that cookie on a plate in the kitchen for inclusion in your snack or meal plan. Want an apple at 3:30? Fine, but do the same—put the apple beside the cookie, and wait for your designated time to sit down and eat. Whether you’re eating at 5:00 with the family, or waiting for that physical sign of hunger, you can rest knowing that the cookie and apple are waiting in the kitchen for you. Remember, they don’t have legs—they’re not going anywhere!

By grouping our food into set meals, we combat a two-fold internal struggle we face:

1. Feeling of deprivation
  2. The “I have a poverty stricken diet” mindset

When it’s finally mealtime, fill your plate once and sit down to eat. By placing the cookie and the apple alongside your meal, you have visual confirmation that you have enough. You may even find that you’re not hungering for that cookie anymore, and so you’ll return it to the jar.

That’s a good thing! 😉

Once you’re sitting down, stay seated. There’s no reason that you need to run back to the kitchen for seconds. If you filled your plate well the first time, and you feel comfortably full, you’ve had enough. That second plate of food is a sure-fire way of depleting your account.

Drink a cup of tea or sip on some water for a bit while your food does its thing, then get up from the table and walk away from the food. Remember it takes about 20 minutes for the body to message the brain that you’re full, but it will!

Lust comes in all colors and sizes, ladies. It might be a mink coat for one, a man for another, and a fudge brownie for you. Regardless of how we slice it—our bodies are constantly combating lust.

The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna! –Numbers 11:4-6, NIV

Just because we live with a longing for food, that doesn’t mean that our appetite has the power to control us. We can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens us—amen? Amen! Start eating this way today, and I trust that you’ll see a difference in your mentality immediately.

And while you’re sitting, there’s just one other little thing I encourage you to do. It’s truly one of the best motivational tools that I have, and I want to share this secret with you. Grab a pen and paper or a recipe card right now, and start writing a list. List the reasons why you want to lose weight, which may include things like:

• I’ll feel younger.
  • I’ll look prettier.
  • I’ll be healthier.
  • I’ll feel confident.
  • I can wear a bathing suit next summer.
  • I’ll buy regular-sized clothing.
  • I’ll gain self-control.

Some of you may have written a list like this when we started out, and if so that’s great, I hope you refer to it often. What I encourage you to do—and what I do—is read the list every single morning, and again once or twice throughout the day. Every day that I do this I find that I am stronger than the days that I don’t. In fact I had a busy morning today, forgot to read the list, and therefore I’ve encountered a bit of slippage this evening. But as I’m writing, I’m remembering the reasons why I want to Live Well!

Read more articles like this in my monthly column, “Live Well!”

18 comments for “Lose Weight Sitting Down

1. Tracy
    December 1, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have once again started my fitness regime. I need all the encouragement I can get.

2. December 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Good for you Tracy! I’m rooting for you. 🙂

3. Crystal VanBonn
    December 1, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Thanks for the tips I’ve have wrote my list and I will let you know how it goes now maybe I can start feeling better about myself and by faith and determination hopefully the weight will disappear thanks again. December 1st at 11:24 pm

4. December 2, 2008 at 7:41 AM

interesting post! definitely makes you more aware!

5. December 2, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Father, I pray for the struggle these women face, and the one that I face as well. May we learn to lean on you and be loosed from the pull we face daily to yeild to our appetite. May our appetite first and foremost be to do the will of your Son, Jesus Christ, in whom we are complete.

6. December 2, 2008 at 8:48 AM

ok- now that Thanksgiving is over, my list starts….NOW!
    Thank you for the encouragement!

7. December 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Thanks Darlene…I needed to be reminded of how important it is to be focused on the “why”. I’m making my list out today!!!

8. December 5, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Thank You. I needed this so much this morning. I could not have read a devotional that would have encouraged me more. The holidays are the hardest times, as everyone knows, but I will keep on fighting.

Thanks again!

9. December 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Precious sister Darlene,

ONE of the myriad of things I love about you is how you’re always pointing us all straight to Jesus for all things…even to satisfy our hunger. Then you so wisely give us the practical “how-tos” so that we can actually learn to apply God’s word…that is, eat God’s word more and live it, rather than fill our earthly bodies and feed it. 🙂

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and to pray for all of us in this area! You’re such an incredible blessing to me!

I love you dearly sister,
    Sunny

10. December 6, 2008 at 4:48 AM

Thanks for sharing! Very great post..one more thing is to have a self discipline. thats the most important character to wear in order to do the list ….thanks again.

11. Emily
    December 6, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I have made my list out and put it in my journal where I see it every morning. Thank you so much for writing out these very helpful and doable tips.

12. December 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM

I have to feed more than 100 hungry orphans in Tanzania. They only eat a bowl of porridge made from plain maize four Monday to Friday when they come to the feeding centre. At home they have very little. Some one out there, you lovely and beautiful Christian women. Help me to provide them with water, then we can move them into the centre we are building and feed them together. May the Lord move someone to help, in Jesus Name. Amen. Thank you. Elvida

ps visit our children at http://www.nyotastar.com

13. December 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Thanks for interesting article

14. December 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Thank you for this reminder. I made my list. My 6th baby is a year old now and I have no excuse anymore for not loosing this weight except for my own lust. I have tried way too many things and know only with God’s help can I combat this and learn to eat and live well.

15. Ilana
    January 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM

So inspiring…and helpful! I’m going to make up an encouraging list of why I want to lose weight and make several copies to put in different places … I’ve already lost 41 lbs this past year (2008) mostly sitting. I also like the idea of putting snacks aside on a plate for a specified time. I really need that one!!

Thanks for the advice!

16. December 8, 2009 at 12:53 AM

As a girl with self-control and overeating problems, I thought it was absolutely impossible for me to not eat for ten days. I found that this program was much easier to stick to than I originally thought; if at any time I was in doubt of the healthiness of not eating for so long, I would consult this book and it’s partner online bulletin board. These sources provided me with the answers to all the questions I could possibly have.

Since doing my first cleanse with the aid of Glickman’s book over 18 months ago I have done the cleanse 3 times. I have just completed my longest cleanse, which was 20 days long, and every time I finish I feel like a new person. Even if you don’t think you can do it, buy the book and try; it won’t hurt! Make the commitment to yourself and your body and go without food for ten measly days. (Just make sure you allot 13 days to ease yourself back onto solid food. Good luck and happy cleansing!

17. April 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I have enjoyed your interesting article, your site is a great read. Thank you for putting yourself out there. I would love your critique on my own site that highlights posts on health related issues including and especially detox foot pads and their effeciveness as told by posters.

18. January 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM