Candace Cameron on Weight Loss – US Weekly

CWO monthly columnist, Candace Cameron Bure, is on the cover of US Weekly discussing her weight loss success! Look for it in stores now.

Candace, who grew up in the stick-thin environment of Hollywood told US Weekly that her parents, “shielded me from that kind of pressure [weight loss]. It was important that I knew my value as a person and never struggled with my image on the outside.” Being 132 pounds at her heaviest, weight was never as much of a focus to Candace as feeling good about herself–both inside and out. Her focus these days is centered around family and faith, and at 110 pounds, Candace is content being the size that she is.

Candace shares her weight loss story with readers, telling them how she lost 22 pounds and how you can lose weight too.  Candace has shared many weight loss tips with CWO readers in her monthly column Candid Candace. If you missed them–don’t worry–you can always find them here at CWO in “Candid Candace: The Q’s and A’s of Growing with God.”

Read some of Candace’s weight loss articles:

“Giving Your Food Issues to God”

“The Secret to Staying Slim and Healthy”

Congratulations on the weight loss, Candace. You look great!

Watch a behind the scenes video of Candace at the US Weekly photo shoot:

Visit Candace at her website: CandaceCameronBure.net

31 comments for “Candace Cameron on Weight Loss – US Weekly

1. amanda
    December 13, 2008 at 8:36 AM

132 IS NOT FAT! its normal weight and most likely even skinner than you need to be. it all depends on your BMI! anyway this is why people feel obligated to GET THIN! THIS ARTICLE IS SICKENING!

2. Sharon
    December 13, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Amanda, no where in the article is there a mention of “fat”. Perhaps you’re putting your own prejudices that you have about weight and diet on this article rather than reading it for what it is.

3. December 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Amen sister Sharon, well spoken with love.

I’m really proud of our sister Candace as if you’ve ever read anything about her weight or “looks” it’s all about Christ, abiding in Him and being a good steward of everything God’s given us…including our bodies, which is the temple of His Holy Spirit.

Scripture clearly states that our bodies do not belong to us, but have been bought with a high price – the precious blood of Jesus. We should take care of it as such and not indulge in our fleshly desires, but care for it as God commands.

I hope this blesses you & comforts you sister Amanda. 🙂

4. December 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Amen sister Sharon, well spoken with love.

I hope this blesses you & comforts you sister Amanda. 🙂

5. December 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Amanda, I’ve talked to Candace about her weight before, and she told me that honestly she never felt “fat” even at her highest weight. She even said I was “only” 132.

Her goal was never weight-loss focussed as much as it was about being in shape and eating healthier. She is quite short, I’ve met her in person, and she looks tiny, but well proportioned. Not overly skinny. She’s adorable.

6. December 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Hey Amanda and friends-

Just to clarify, I never said I thought I was fat or that 132 pounds is fat. I did say that I was uncomfortable with my body at 132 pounds and that’s why I decided to lose the weight- at 17 years old. (The caption on the front of the magazine is misleading, making it sound as if I recently lost weight.) Amanda, please understand that the media and press can put any spin on an interview and even take quotes out of context to make them sound more interesting. US weekly did a nice job in the actual magazine’s article, but didn’t get it all right in the web version.

Everyone feels good at different weights and sizes. I’m all about being fit and healthy and active. I’ve written several articles about it right here on CWO if you’re interested in reading my own words.

Thin is not what I’m promoting, but a healthy body. And someone that is 5’2” may feel better in a size 8 than I do. And that’s GREAT! My body feels best at 110 pounds. I’m not married to the scale, I just know the weight in which my body has the most energy and feels it’s best.

Keeping your body healthy is finding a balance between neglecting it (eating anything and everything you want at any time and not exercising at all) and obsessing about it (controlling every single bite of food that enters your mouth and exercising your body to the point that you must have total control).

I found what works for me- a balance to enjoy lots of delicious foods, treating myself occasionally and working out, enjoying exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle with my family.

7. Tanya
    December 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Candace,

Today I read the US magazine article about you, and the one thing that stuck with me was how the magazine stated that you “balked” at the idea of wearing a swimsuit for the story. I applaud your stand and postive response that you prefer modesty and to “keep some things special” for your husband. I am sure that was not well received when you told the magazine of your decision, but what a strong, influential choice as a role model for your daughter and other Christian women! Your article was full of encouraging comments about finding balance and about being healthy, not thin. Good on you!

8. Jess
    December 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Hi all,
    I’m a regular subscriber of US Weekly and was so excited to see Candace on the cover! I am a new Christian and am learning everything I can through wayofthemaster.com, this site, others, and the Bible, of course.

I just wanted to comment that each person’s weight varies with their own energy levels and confidence. One person might feel totally confident and energetic at 200 pounds while another person might feel his or her best at 140.

I did not find the article sickening in any way, and I was truly inspired. I’m so pleased there are role models even in typical Hollywood magazines for someone who’s interested in the typical Hollywood lifestyle.

Congrats, Candace!

9. Lisa
    December 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Candace…I look for 2 days for this magazine before it even hit the stores. I was so stoked about it! I finally got it! I am so inspired by you Candace! I am a short girl(5’3”)and right now, I am the heaviest I have ever been! I weight 135 and I used to weight 110. I felt GREAT at 110! Now, I am running,eating healthy and lifting weights at the gym. I just don’t understand the concept of carbs! I know whole wheat carbs are good for you but I read alot not to eat any carbs! I am so torn! I love to eat cereal in the morning with skim milk but I have a hard time finding cereal that’s not loaded with sugar(that’s my enemy!) anyway…I think you look great Candace and God bless you for inspiring us! Could you reply to my carb question? Thank you and God bless!

10. December 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Candace,

It was so great to see your face in the supermarket! Thank you for being a shining light in a dark world! I love how you and your brother have gone against the flow and have been so open about your faith! As you have served the Lord you have served us all by encouraging us and rolemodeling how a Christian can live in this world but not be of it. Thank you for your willingness to be used by God – I am sure you have sacrificed a lot along the way. Thanks!

Courtney
    Mom of 2 preschoolers in Canton, Ohio

11. December 19, 2008 at 7:50 AM

while I think most of us have the same reaction Amanda original had being 5’9″ and weighing 135 at my smallest I was healthy.. i totally agree it depends on your body, hieght, and your muscle mass.
    Thanks for sharing your story Canadace. it was nice to read the “no lypo, and such. it’s amazing how skewed our views are of body image and how to get there!

12. Roxanne
    December 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I have to defend Amanda here. Those of us who are truly fat get looked on by those of you who are skinny as someone who is “eating anything and everything you want at any time and not exercising at all”.

That is NOT always the case. None of us want to be fat. Sometimes there are underlying issues that are at work.

It’s easy for someone who starts out at 132 or 135 or whatever to lose weight than it is for someone who has tried every diet in the world and still can’t lose weight because her appendix burst and it stuck her insides all together from the gross peritonitis.

Do you think that “fat people” want to be that way? Not every fat person is someone who is “eating anything and everything you want at any time and not exercising at all”.

13. December 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Thank you for sharing your story Candace. I use to be tied to the scare, freaked at every pound. Then I gave up caring and gained weight, that was wrong also. This is something I really had to pray about. Now I go by my pants and know about 135 to 140 is my range (135 being perfect for me), if I go higher then I work at it, but in between I don’t stress.

It was a idol I let consume me, but through prayer and giving up sodas and sweets the Lord has really helped me.

Thank you for bringing light in a God honoring way Candace.

14. Tammy
    December 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Thank you for the article! I know what it means to feel good at a certain weight. I am 5’2″ and now weigh 130-135 lbs. I felt much better 2 years ago at 118 lbs. I know what my problem is though–I no longer walk or eat healthy and am working/going to school full-time with three little ones running around. I know that with attention to certain areas and living a healthy life, as God wants me to, I will reach the weight that I felt the healthiest at. Thank you for the encouraging article

15. TRS
    December 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Candance is so eloquent in her responses!

I just want to stand on the skinny minny side and point out that we all carry weight differently.

I am a very slender 5’5″ and am at my best at 118-120 pounds.
    Ten extra pounds on me looks like 15-20 extra pounds on someone else.
    When I checked in at 128 only one friend was brave enough to tell me I needed to lose weight. The rest of the world still saw me as skinny.

In my case, I was over-indulging. Enjoying traveling for work and indulging in meals on my expense report. I ate bigger meals because I couldn’t take it home (to the hotel) and I hated to waste food.

And – the extra pounds meant I could lay on my side in bed – and feel my stomach touch the mattress! Ew.

I also know that some of my taller bigger friends would be scary thin at 128 (my heaviest weight). They look great at 140.

No one is judging you as much as you imagine. If you think they are – that’s probably your sign that you need to make a change.

16. January 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Candace,
    I just wanted to say that you are beautiful inside and out. I have not read the article, but having read your column here since the beginning and seen you speak on TV shows before I know that you only represent something positive. As an overweight person I am inspired by stories that just say to be fit and healthy (something I am working on right now). Finding the weight that suits your best is what is necessary and your comment above is so right on with that. Thank you for being you.

17. January 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM

just a small note of love to hear from you about your wonderful life. your are a great encourgment to us grandmothers as well. thank you

18. Susan
    January 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Despite the way Candace feels about health these types of articles still promote the unhealthy focus our society has on appearance. The message that the media wants to send is on how Candace LOOKS! When we see those magazine covers in the store the focus isn’t being healthy it is how the cover model looks. I think Candace has great ideas on health but doing an article with a magazine like that is only helping feed our appearance driven society. Sorry Candace but I don’t respect your choice in doing this article.

19. February 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM

WOW!!! I am so amazed by the venomous tirades some people have launched against a Candace. Her article, as well as her response have been gracious, engaging, and truly reflect the love of Christ. Candace, I am encouraged by your honesty in dealing with your health and personal image issues. This is not about weight – it is about knowing when you have let something become an idol in your life and knowing that the only way to conquer it is to give it to GOD. Nay, we are more than conquerors through HIM!!! I applaud you Candace and may all that you do continue to let others see Him working in you.
    To GOD be the glory, great things HE hath done (not Candace).

Abiding in Him,
    Tiffany

20. February 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I don’t usually comment to a blog but I liked your post therefore I felt forced to do so. Straying away from the subject slightly, what do you think concerning walking? It is generally being put forward as the best exercise to burn fat.

21. February 22, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Hello. Great job. I did not expect this today. This is a great story. Thanks!

22. Susan
    February 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Tiffany says:

Tiffany I just want to point out that the cover of US Weekly say, “a ‘chubby’ child star becomes a hot mom of 3” it DOESN’T say, “an unhealthy child star becomes a healthy mom of 3”. What does HOT mean? Hmmm… Despite Candace’s intentions she has contributed to our society’s unhealthy focus on appearance. The cover of that magazine is about how Candace looks. Plain and simple! I am sure Candace has good intentions and she is a great Christian but as a public figure she does subject herself to other peoples opinions. Receiving constructive criticism is just a part of life. Plain and simple!!

23. livebeautifully
    March 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I have read through all of the above comments. You know, I think it is so easy for those of us who have had problems with our weight (past or present) to somehow make ourselves feel better. We should not be to the point in which we have to lower someone else to elevate ourselves.

Personally, I am about 5’4″ and 115 lbs. This is where I feel healthy. However, I have been heavier at times and did not feel like less of a person whatsoever! I just felt that I looked my best at 115.

I know people who are much heavier and also much thinner than I am. Does it make any difference to me? Not at all. Live and let live, I say, when it comes to an issue like this.

Candace looks happy and healthy. Most of all, from all appearances she has a lovely family and a good life. Good for her! Why demean her?

24. livebeautifully
    March 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I’m sorry, the first sentence in my comment should have read, “You know, I think it is so easy for those of us who have had problems with our weight (past or present) to somehow make ourselves feel better by criticizing someone else.”

25. December 15, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Liked the website and posting this good stuff man, I did not ever begin to think of this

26. December 16, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Comfortabl y, the article is actually the greatest on this precious topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your coming updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the phenomenal lucidity in your writing. I will right away grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Authentic work and much success in your business enterprise!

27. December 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I’ve been on acai products for 2 months now and besides the fact that I’m losing weight my energy level is also way higher. I found some reviews and free samples of acai berry diet at http://www.acai.ekaranga.com/acai1.php you should check it out.

28. January 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I spent 4 hours reading your site. Thanks for the good information. I’ll be back!

29. February 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Good post, I favorited your blog so I can visit again in the future, Thanks, Ingrid Goeke

30. March 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for model toys and your post looks very interesting for me.

31. March 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I’ve seen this in stores is it the same actual product?