When Your Enemy Tries to Destroy Your Self Esteem

by juliemooreonlife

I just read a great post about comparing yourself to others.  Unfortunately I find myself comparing my weight to other women.  My goal weight is about 25 pounds lighter than what I am right now.  The thing is I haven’t put a whole lot of effort into losing this weight because I look in the mirror and I’m ok with whom I see.

So when did I become “unok” with me?   This weekend when my daughter and I went on a short vacation together.  I took my new camera and snapped lots of pictures.  Only to discover I absolutely looked very overweight in the pictures.   A picture says a thousand words and I felt like those pictures said, “Julie, you weigh a thousand pounds.”

I am disappointed in myself because I have come so far in being content with who I am and not putting on masks to be someone I’m not.  Seeing these pics caused me to want to be a skinny woman, which I am not, and I felt self- conscious about my body, and more than that, my face and hair.

Now this is not who I am in Christ!  I am who I am and I am content with who I am.  I am His workmanship made perfectly the way He wants me to be made, with the hair I’m supposed to have (with a little color alteration) and the face of His choosing.  To doubt my beauty is to doubt the God of the universe.  Wow, where do I get off doing that.

And where did these thoughts come from?  Could it be the enemy once again trying to thwart the plans God had for us to have a wonderful time making sweet memories?  John 10:10 “The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy but I come that you may have life and have it more abundantly.”   Could it be possible he’d want to destroy our time together by putting my mind on fleshly things like my looks?  And guess who fell for it?  Yep, that would be me.  Although I did not concentrate on it the whole time, it crossed my mind when it came time to take a picture.

My identity in Christ is so important to me and it keeps me stable and content.  I regret letting the enemy throw me off sync even for a minute, but thank goodness for my great God’s awesome grace.  He knows me inside and out and knows my imperfections and flaws, but by golly He just keeps on loving me, keeps on calling me, keeps on blessing me, and keeps on teaching me that He is my life and that’s the only way to live.

How about you?  Do you struggle with comparing yourself?  Does the enemy ever stick it to you?  Let me encourage you today –  Jesus Christ in you is more powerful, beautiful, righteous, glorious, joyous, peaceful, and loving than any enemy anywhere.  Live on that!

22 comments for “When Your Enemy Tries to Destroy Your Self Esteem

1. Linda Dunaway
    August 5, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Julie, thank you for being so honest when you write. Since I was a teenager my weight has been a problem and it has really messed with my self-esteem. About nine yeas ago my husband & I started walking together because of certain health
    issues & were both able to loose some weight & keep it off. Lately I have put some of this weight back…so I’ve started to pick up some of my old thinking about myself. You really helped me to think what I really know with all my heart is to focus on who I am in Christ. I want those that know me to see “the fruits of the spirit in me” and without His self esteem glowing through me in Christ those things will not show. I will try to do better with this. Thanks again for being so vulnerable with us….we just need to be reminded over & over how much He loves us & then everything else falls into place. Thanks again!

2. August 5, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Linda you have so much to pass on to others and I hope you do it. Christ in us is the most important part of life because He makes us who we are and He gives His love to us freeely so we can give it to otehrs freely. Thanks for your comment.

3. M. Lunsford
    August 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Everyone is different and uniquely beautiful. While appreciating and celebrating who we are in Christ, we can also strive to become stronger and healthier versions of ourselves – spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically.

I know God gave me a wake-up call as I looked at holiday pictures of myself last winter. I realized I had allowed myself way too many indulgences over the years, not exercised regularly and basically taken the easy way out on many nutritional decisions that will affect my health in the long run. God revealed that if I wanted to have the stamina, endurance & strength to serve Him to the best of my abilities and finish the race well, I needed to make some drastic changes. No more taking the easy way out, it was going to take work and discipline – foreign concepts to me. Like fueling myself spiritually and mentally, I needed to fuel my body with nutritious foods and exercise. It’s not easy and I still struggle with comfort foods and preferring to sleep in rather than get up and exercise. Satan tempts me on a daily basis with foods I know aren’t good for me, and he whispers all the excuses I could use to sleep in.

Deciding I wanted to serve God fully and finish the race well, is the motivation that fuels me and keeps me going when I’d rather sleep in or pick up fast food just because it’s easier. If the only goal I had was to look better in pictures, lose weight or feel better about myself, I would’ve given up long ago.

4. August 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM

You are so right. Getting and keeping the temple healthy is God’s will for us. What i felt was condemnation and that’s not God’s will. Thank you so much for sharing and giving me and I’m sure others some fire with which to get motivated. So glad you are getting healthier every day and I am on my way too.

5. Marilyn
    August 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM

M. Lunsford, you said it well – I think we could be twins in matters of attitude, discipline, etc! Thank you.

6. Nadya Eckman
    August 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Funny thing is that skinny people straggle about their self-esteem too only in others arias (like not strait legs, a long nose, small breasts, bitten nails…). The truth is that everyone straggles with something. All people tend to compare themselves to others and nobody is perfect. When we know that and who we are in Christ and we understand our uniqueness, we become content and confident. And it shows through us and then other people just see our confidence and they don’t notice our shortcomings.

7. August 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Right on target Nadya. Knowing who I am in Christ causes me to be confident in Him and what He wants for me. So if i need to be a healthier version of myself then I do it for Him not others. Condemnation from satan, others and ourselves should never be our reasoning behind change. Thanks for your comment.

8. Kristi
    August 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM

We always seem to think satan comes to us in big huge horrible ways but he doesn’t have to. He can just remind us of our faults and shortcomings and we get depressed and in our depression we tend to walk away from the very one that can remind us of the truth! God is always there for us but I think hearing the negative is so much louder in our ears than the positive. Why is that? Is that because we (I) are negative people and seem to go directly to that instead of being uplifted by God’s word? I need to get in shape, I need to eat healthier, I need to be a nicer person in general…I need to DO a lot of things but the only way that’s going to happen and be a success is if I listen to GOD throughout my journey and not my enemies! Thanks Julie for the article.

9. August 5, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Amen to that Kristi. You are so right. Doing all these things through sheer willpower will get us no where fast. It is through listening to Him and by His power that we will succeed at anything worthy of eternity. Listening to His sweet whisper telling me I am of value to Him makes me in turn WANT to live for Him.

10. August 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM

One day at a time. It works in so many areas of our lives. And it’s really all we have to deal with. Touch your nose–that is where you are. What can you do today, where you are, to be the best you, the one God made you to be.

11. August 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Thank you Lynda. Resting in Him and doing it one day at a time really is the only way to do anything worth while.

12. Tracy
    August 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM

good for you! It’s a thought that’s occurred to me before as I scowl at a spreading girth and flawed face. God made me the way He wants me. If I let things go a bit, I should decide to care enough to get back on track but not to uphold myself to a worldly value. God’s is just fine!

13. August 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Thank you for this reminder, Julie. I am his workmanship, his handiwork. I like how you put it: “To doubt my beauty is to doubt the God of the universe.” I will have to remember that the next time I compare myself to someone else.

Blessings,
    Daphne

14. August 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Thank you Tracey and Daphne for your comments. I can tell by the words you write that you’ve been on both sides of this spectrum and come out knowing who you are in Jesus. Let’s continue to share the message!

15. August 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I don’t have the weight issue to contend with, but there is always something each of us has that makes us feel inferior in some way. We’re always comparing ourselves to someone else. I think about the commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves. How can we do that when we don’t love ourselves they way we are, the way God loves us? I’m not only hurting myself when I let my self esteem suffer, I’m hurting the way I can fully love others. Plus, I let my focus stay on me. Life isn’t all about me! Great article, Julie.

16. August 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

So true Susan. I know if I focus on me which is what i was doing that day I have a hard time focusing on letting Jesus live through me. Thanks for stopping by.

17. August 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Isn’t it comforting to know that He knows us inside out! 🙂
    Jo

18. August 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Yes Jo it is so very comforting. And even though He knows me so well, junk and all, He still loves me to the moon and back and then some.

19. September 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Unless you’re 4’10” 25 pounds isn’t a lot of weight. As females we are constantly bombarded by the media concept of the thinner the better. Young girls compare themselves to Models who are considerably underweight and even worse those pictures they are looking at aren’t even true representations, they’ve been air brushed. Any girl or woman who’s been told you know you’d be really pretty if you lost “x” number of pounds or has been snubbed or made fun of by others for her weight has scars to deal with. One of the hardest things to do is to learn to be comfortable with yourself and to realize who you are doesn’t come from the worldly view of who they say you should be. Knowing you are a child of God and special in his sight is a wonderful thing, and knowing that when those thoughts cross your mind you can send them packing by calling on his Grace is too. As sisters in Christ we should comfort and council when we see young girls hurting or doubting themselves, we grow in faith and love when we do so. And that goes for grown girls too.

20. September 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for your comment billysgirl. You are so right we do get cought up in the world’s perspective of what we should be. Especially the young girls and it stays with them all their lives. Let’s get the word out to them as well that God created them perfect and beautiful.

21. November 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Our young girls are being inundated by the media with the world’s idea of beauty. They constantly compare themselves to others and constantly try to change themselves into someone acceptable by the mainstream. Not only is it affecting our young girls but as mothers we often compare ourselves to other mothers in terms of how much weight we gain, lose, how our bodies look after children, before children, etc. It’s so important that we understand how God sees us and how unimportant the worlds view of us is. Great post!

22. November 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Thanks so much Adeline. You are so right the world has nothing to offer our girls but rejection in the end.