Grace and Forgiveness from a Holy and Righteous God

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple… “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.” Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
Isaiah 6:1, 5-7

The sound of the angels singing “holy, holy, holy” filled the throne room as Isaiah looked upon the LORD. He is God’s chosen prophet and is about to be called to serve Him, but what Isaiah sees is more than he can handle. He is completely overwhelmed by the holiness of God. In this moment, Isaiah is faced with the reality of who he is – a sinner; a sinner who is now standing in the presence of his holy and righteous God. I can almost feel the desperation as he cries out, “Woe to me! I am ruined!”

There is nothing quite like a fresh encounter with the holiness of God, to bring us to our knees and to remind us of who we are. God already knows; Psalm 103:14 says “He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust”, but sometimes we need a little reminder, that apart from God, apart from His Spirit within us, we are nothing. Standing in the presence of the LORD that day, Isaiah knew that he was nothing.

The beauty of this passage is that our loving Father does not leave Isaiah this way. He sends the seraph to him to cleanse him, and to restore him. He takes away his guilt and provides atonement for his sin. God reaches out to Isaiah and offers him grace and forgiveness at a time when Isaiah couldn’t have felt any more undeserving.

We serve that same holy and righteous God and He offers that same grace and forgiveness to us. So often, we as women strive to do things under and own strength, and carry a burden of guilt and shame around that God never meant for us to carry. Who do you know that is in need of the grace and forgiveness that God so freely gives? Maybe it is you that is longing for forgiveness and in need of accepting God’s grace. Turn to the one who loves you so much that He Himself provides what we could never attain on our own.

His grace covers all.

Father, thank you for your faithfulness to us. You are holy and righteous and yet you offer grace to us when we are so undeserving. May our response to you be that of Isaiah’s who offered his all in service to you. In Jesus name, amen

11 comments for “Grace and Forgiveness from a Holy and Righteous God

1. September 17, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Good word on forgiveness. I am reminded daily that it is not by my strength but by His Spirit! It has taken many years of unlearning what the world teaches on independence, however. I see women everyday in my counseling office struggling with standing their ground so long that they felt isolated from the loving forgiveness of our heavenly father.

2. Ramona Cook
    September 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM

This one of the most powerfully moving portions of Scripture to me. The writer has done a wonderful job, in my opinion, with presenting it in a applicable way to us as human beings.

The first reason I find this text so powerful is that the Holy Spirit made a mental picture for me of how huge God is, and of the power of His Presence, as the hem of His robe filled the Temple, and the smoke filled the Temple and the pillars of the Temple shook. In all of that God took notice of Isaiah because of his willingness to confess and repent in response to God’s Holy Presence. This passage shows His involvement with us as human beings. “Who will go for US, and whom shall I send?” When any one of us has been touched by God, as was Isaiah and also Jacob, our life and walk is forever different. It is then easier to confess our sins and to keep check on ourselves for close discipleship. God becomes a real experience to us as He did for Isaiah.

(Isaiah, as a note of interest, was placed into a hollow log and sawed into, because he took the message of God to people who did not want to hear it. The Holiness of God forever impressed Isaiah.)

3. SAMWEL OMARI KIBOGI
    September 18, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Greetings to you in the of Jesus Christ. many thanks to you for your letter that i have received. I am happy that you rember me in prayers and continue to share the word of God with here in Kenya am doing fine with my Family and the church that i pastor please i wish you to make a trip to Kenya so that you plant your ministry in our area because i talked to my group about your ministry and they were very much interested.
    thanks and may God bless you.
    Bro. Samwel Omari Kibogi

4. September 18, 2010 at 6:15 AM

This is a very powerful passage in the Bible. I agree it is amazing to me how God reveals himself day after day in our life and just little reminders yes I hear and I am real. Lord help to not forget to ask of you daily forgiveness help to not think I need that forgiveness from you.

5. September 20, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Greetings in the name of Jesus.The scripture has reminded me how God loves us inspite of our sins.Even when we think God can not consider us, HE reveals himself to us in our daily lives.

6. Gabreil
    September 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM

who our Uzziah? Nigeria presidential cats,bats and presidential masquerade that caused Economics meltdown and Jos crisis? or president wife that committed Adultery with her house boy? and where is Joseph in the House of president? I love than everybody on earth Jesus died me on the tree through his Blood i received salvation and Deliverance, I forgive than anybody because i discovered Jesus died and forgive me sin which i need to forgive others too, but I went to bed fold my hand i will not fight, the vengeance belong to God, I heard Jos crisis, Yar Adua died.

7. Carol
    September 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I have a question about Isaiah. I didn’t understand the part Ramona said about being place in a log and sawed into? Is this located somewhere in the bible?

Thank you.
    Carol

8. Nicole Querido
    September 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hi Carol,
    No this is not explicitly stated in the Bible. Hewbrew’s 11:37 makes reference to people who for their faith were tortured by being sawed in two, but it does not specifically say Isaiah. It is from Jewish tradition that this belief comes from. The commentary below is from Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible, and it explains the belief that Isaiah was sawed in two:

“The Jews have a tradition, that the Prophet Isaiah was sawn asunder in the times of Manasseh, and by his order; which some think the apostle refers unto; though it seems to be all fictitious, and ill put together. The tradition is in both Talmuds: in the one, the account is this: (z) that

“Manasseh sought to kill Isaiah, and he fled from him, and fled to a cedar, and the cedar swallowed him up, all but the fringe of his garment; they came and told him (Manasseh), he said unto them, go and saw the cedar, “and they sawed the cedar”, and blood was seen to come out.”

And in the other (a) thus,

“says R. Simeon ben Azzai, I found a book of genealogies in Jerusalem, and in it was written that Manasseh slew Isaiah.

And after relating the occasion of it, being some passages in Isaiah Manasseh was displeased with and objected to; and the prophet not thinking it worth his while to return an answer, or attempt to reconcile them with other passages, objected, knowing that the king would use him contemptuously; he is made to say,

“I will swallow (or put myself into) a cedar, they brought the cedar, “and sawed it asunder”, and when it (the saw) came to his mouth, he expired.””

Hope this helps,
    Nicole

9. zahoor
    September 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Masseg love &piece for all.

10. October 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

This is the second time in 2 days that I have come across this reference to Isaiah. He is my favorite prophet, because he has written so much about God’s promises and His love for me. After hearing someone preach on that verse, I thought how awesome that spectacle of God must have been, high and lifted up, with His train filling the entire length and breadth of the temple. And yet, that great, big, awesome God loved Isaiah and He loves me as sinful and unworthy as I am.

11. December 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM