Over Indulging Again?

Many of us will remember Candace Cameron Bure from ABC’s Full House, where we affectionately knew her as “DJ Tanner.” Today Candace is a role model to young women everywhere, with a testimony of growing up in Hollywood, while growing in faith with God.

This month, Candace gets candid on weight loss when a reader says, “I’m over indulging again and can’t stop.”

I saw you in US Weely Magazine, and you look great! I wanted to ask, how do you keep yourself from slipping back into bad eating habits? I often find that I’m going along so well, and then the next thing I know I’m over indulging again and I can’t stop. I feel like when this happens I just undid all of the good work that I did. What’s your trick?

The simple answer is that I train my body instead of spoiling it. Let me explain…

The other night, I made chicken and salad for dinner—or maybe it was pasta–I don’t exactly recall what we all had, but I do remember Maks liking it all a little too much! When Maks likes what he’s eating (which is often the case) he just keeps on scooping it in until I notice his sweet little cheeks getting full, and I say, “Maks, honey—you’ve had enough.” It’s a good thing I’m there to monitor him, since I fear the little guy may one day explode.

After dinner he started in on dessert, taking an apple, followed by a banana, along with high hopes of having yet another apple or two—until I stopped him again. You don’t want to be the person behind him at an all you can eat buffet—trust me on that.

Finally it was time to put the kids into bed, Lev was brushing his teeth, Natasha was reading a book, and Maks was parading around the room tapping on his little round belly.

“Uh, Mom?” He said, finally pausing for breath. “There may be a problem. I think I’m pregnant!” 🙂

I tried not to laugh, before explaining to him that he wasn’t about to give me a grandkid, nor by the looks of it–two.

I also found it a good time to explain that we don’t have to go hog wild when we’re eating, just because it tastes good. We need to consider what’s best for our bodies, when to say ‘When’ and how it’s my job as a mom to train him until he’s equipped to make that decision himself.

In much the same way, many of us eat as we please, because we aren’t trained to consider the result of our actions. We see where our actions have gotten us, but we don’t always realize the importance that discipline would have made.

We might say something like, “Overeating this once isn’t such a big deal. I can eat this, that, and the other, then I’ll just get back on track in the morning!” Getting on track is important, but the plan often falls through because we’ve started allowing sloppy habits to form.  I don’t let my kids get away such behavior, so why would I condone it for myself?

The trick is to look at it like your spirit is in charge, not your passions. Realize that you’re a grown up girl, and start living and eating accordingly–even if the going is tough. After a while you’ll be used to the training. Remember, discipline is never pleasant, but it yields fruit to those who are trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11).

Hope that helps!

Visit Candid Candace for more Qs & As

13 comments for “Over Indulging Again?

1. March 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

GREAT counsel Candace! And as always, God’s word that leads us and keeps us in His will for His glory!

Bless you dear sister,
    Sunny

2. March 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Portion control, portion control — so important. I like the study that came out recently that said the best way to lose weight is to …..”eat less.” Who would have thought! Great advice.

3. Katarina
    March 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Great advice and examples. Portion control is the hardest to overcome if you have spent years over indulging.

4. March 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I just wanted to drop in and tell you how much I love this column. I used to never struggle with my weight and gave it very little thought until I hit thirty and started putting on the pounds. Before I knew it, I was overweight. Now, I am seriously struggling to take those pounds off and it has been a long, hard road. I tend to overindulge … and then find it hard to stop. By the time I do, I have put back on every pound and then some. It is truly an ugly cycle that I want to break and break for good.

5. danielle rice
    March 12, 2009 at 4:49 AM

when i was 8 you were my hero, and you still are! ha. no really, i appreciate so much that you take your time to help us regular women with issues like weight. reading this made me realize that i was never taught to stop. i live in the south too, and souther comfort food, and obesity, was just accepted as part of my family traits. but, i do work at keeping it off, then gain some back, then diet again. i realize now though, that as a christian, i should also practice the fruit of self control at the dining room table as well. i will also teach my children this. and would not have known to before. thanks so much!!!!!

6. Susan
    March 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Wonderful answer. It makes a lot of sense. Like Angel I didn’t struggle with weight until I hit my mid-thirties. These past 12 months I have put on 15 lbs. and I know it is from over indulging. It is really hard to be disciplined when food taste so good 🙂 Thanks for the reminder Candace to both be disciplined for ourselves and instill that in our children.

7. Marcy B. Silver Spring, Maryland
    March 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM

These foods would just make me have a crush on any food that I could have put some weights.

It is hard at the age 40 that I could say with Candace and Kirk Cameron along with everyone else.

I couldn’t find much of this topic in the bible.

Well, summer soon hits the road to attend a 30th Reunion. It just around the corner after the weekend of July 4th.

8. March 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Great counsel, and you know, great advice for any habit or stronghold. “The One who calls you is faithful, and HE will do it.” 1 Thessalonians 5:24

Thanks, Candace.

9. March 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for the great reminder. Sometimes we’re afraid to be disciplined and do hard things. It’s a lesson I seem to teach my boys over and over again!

10. linda smith
    March 26, 2009 at 4:30 AM

My daughter has four biological and four adopted children. One of the adopted children is heavy… 75 pounds and 5 years old. My daughter monitors her food intake which is hard since another of the children is very thin and needs to eat more to keep up with her metabolism. The girl who is heavy constantly asks for food… constantly.. My daughter has been to doctors and no one has the answer… except hereditary (her birh mom was short and heavy). She is a sweet girl but is consumed with food and classmates can be cruel and my daughter just doesn’t know what to do…. any ideas/?

11. March 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Linda, my youngest son is that way too. Lucky for us he is not overweight, but seriously he CONSTANTLY wants food. He used to eat out of the garbage, and steal food from the cupboards, and every time I had a bag of licorice or a box of chocolates in the house, he would get into them. Even as a baby, he would crawl and eat specks of dirt off the floor. He is obsessed with food.

As a baby he knew the bottles were packed in the diaper bag, and so he wouldn’t be still when we went out because he would grab at the bags pulling the bottles out until they were finished.

I’ve never understood why one child out of four is like this. But I can say that now at 7 years old, it has gotten much better. I have had to say “no, you’ve had enough” a lot.

As I’m writing this comment, he is asking for food. It’s pretty much constant.

12. linda
    March 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Thanks for your response. Praise God your child is not overweight. This child is and it hampers any climbing and she wears size 10-12 clothes that have to be cut off since she is short and only. But it did help to hear that he does the same thing. Tough on her since she is told she is fat at school… but seems driven to EAT….

13. Emily C
    April 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Marci B- if you want to study this in the Bible, do a word study on these words: honey, self-control, self-indulgent, gluttony. I did this, and it led me to many more studies on womanhood, beauty, and self-discipline. Blessings.