A Psalm 4 Tough Times

“Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
Be merciful to me and hear my prayer.”

Lord, you saw that list of layoffs my company is talking about. I don’t know what the future holds and I am worried about what that could mean for my family. I know that we should have had some savings built up for times like these… but we just never did. Lord, help me to make changes in the future so I am not faced with this situation ever again.

“How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord will hear when I call to him.”

Lord, I admit that I once sought the false god of money. I looked to it as a means of security, identity, and status. As I have watched my financial house crumble in these tough times, I know now that I was foolish. I know that I should have placed my trust in You and You alone. Thank You for not giving up on me and for still listening when I call to You. It is a great comfort to know that You are sovereign and that Your promises will stand.

“In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord.”

Lord, when all the dreary financial forecasts first started coming in, I admit it: I was angry. I wanted to blame someone—anyone—even You, Lord. I wanted to shake my fist and say, “How could You let this happen?” And yet, deep down I knew that this situation grieves you. That you wanted us to make smart financial choices but we just… didn’t. I know now that I need to live differently than I have been all these years. I want to start tithing regularly and trust You fully with my finances.

“Many are asking, ‘Who can show us any good?’ Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

Lord, everyone around me keeps talking like our country is going to collapse. And yet, I know that no matter what, You will take care of me and my family. Instead of wringing my hands and pacing the floor, I am going to turn over my worries about the economy to You. I am going to lay my burdens in Your hands and rest peacefully. Through You I can still have joy no matter how tough things get. Because Your joy outlasts anything money can buy.

(Passages quoted from Psalm 4, New International Version)

©2009,Marybeth Whalen

6 comments for “A Psalm 4 Tough Times

1. March 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The timing of this article in my life is right where it needed to be. Our finances have been so strained! So strained they are that the rent is not in the bank, and cannot be paid in full before the middle of the month. I have been ravished by guilt, because as a single parent, I am the one responsible for the budget. We’re not frivilous, but have been taken down by unexpected cost needs. Though I pray to the Lord for help, I feel so unworthy, so much to blame. Just this morning on the way home from church I told my daughter, “I’ve been praying, but nothing has come. Sometimes I guess we just need to reap what we sew!” In thought my words were referring specifically to the rent not being in hand for the first of the month. I know God is there, I have faith in him, but I feel so distant from him. Still I will cling to him. Thank you for your article…this and a surmon about the armor of God have left me in thought today.

2. Darlene
    March 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

This was a great article. We have began studying Psalms in Sunday School this quarter. I needed to hear this both for the financial aspects, but that it fits other aspects of my life as well. I know that God will always watch over me and my family.

3. March 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM

great article,

God wants us to make the right choice always but we humans always make the wrong choice first and then we want God to save us with a miracle.

Merciful God, always saves us, giving us a second chance. We must use this second chance wisely. I always believe that no matter how hard the times are, if you pray with all your heart, God always opens a window. So that we can see a beam of light.

4. Angie
    November 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

This is my first time coming to this site. This article encouraged me right where I am. I lost my job about two years ago. Long story short I was unable to save our family home, I have to move out. But, I’m okay with it because I know God if faithful and and direct my path to a smaller, safer, home for me and my 11 year old son. Its very hard packing, but I know we will be okay. I haven’t found a house or apartment yet. I really don’t have to start looking until Spring 2010. The hard part is this is the family home, the house I grew up in. When my mother passed away I bought out all my siblings and kept the house. Little did I know that I would loose my only source of income. I’ve had to return to college to finish my Bachelor’s Degree. I currently make about $10 an hour but I’m not going to complain because I know God has his hand in my life. No one said it was going to be easy, but so far it has been soooo worth it. Thank you Jesus for your wonderful, but hard life lessons. You’ve taught me to trust you and you only.

5. January 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I really loved that post.I will be reading a lot more of this blog.But

6. August 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I realize this is an older post, but as I am new to this site it’s new to me. Economic times haven’t changed for the better in the last few years. I’m one of those individuals “offered” early retirement after 22 years of service. Striking out on my own and following Gods’ lead has required risk, learning and faith and some days it’s tough to keep going, not to worry. But the word of God will always give you hope and direction, for me Matthew 6:19-34, is perfect for times like these.