Will The Real Wonder Women Please Stand Up

Wonder Woman!  I remember watching her as a child and I always wanted a pair of those bracelets she wore.  With those bracelets she could defeat any bad guy that came up against her.  Wonder Woman was beautiful inside and out and could do it all with both hands tied behind her back.   As I grew older, Wonder Woman really became more like the super standard that women felt they had to meet.

We joked about other women who were Wonder Women, but deep down we wanted to be like her too.  Oh yes  ~ their kids were perfect, houses immaculate, marriages happier than any other and careers were booming whether in home or out.  Every hair in place, time to work out every day, help the kids with homework, cook two awesome homemade meals a day and still have time alone to read their favorite book at night.  And their spiritual lives were right on target.  One hour in the morning with God before getting the family up, church at least two times a week and serving wherever needed.

What a life.  I mean I’ve dreamed of having such a life.  I’ve wanted to be this Wonder Woman.  I’ve even tried to make other women believe this WAS me.  I pretended and wore masks for years.  But why? Fear of failure? Pride? A competitive spirit? Fear of rejection? Low self-esteem?  Eventually burnout set in.  I could not keep up with the other women I so admired.  I tried and worked and strived, but failed.  My children weren’t perfect, neither was my marriage.  I didn’t like to cook and still don’t.  My house was never immaculate, although it is much better now that the kids are grown.  But serving in the church… that I did well.  I served in every area I could.  All.  The.  Time.  My kids and I were there every time the doors were open.

However, because I did this so well the other aspects of my life were given less attention.  Husband, kids, home, and my personal relationship with God were all put on the back-burner.  But my Heavenly Father just wouldn’t leave me on that endless cycle of pretending…  Although I had accepted Jesus as my Savior at the age of 21, I was missing a piece of the puzzle.  Finally the pieces came together about four years ago when I “got” the truth of His immeasurable love and grace for me.  As I grew in His grace and understood His love, the masks began to fall off or maybe the Father very gently took them off for me.  I was able to see myself more clearly and what I saw was eye-opening.

Underneath the masks of fear of rejection, failure, low self- esteem and issues of pride was a woman chosen, loved, and made holy by her great God!  Because of Christ in me I am a woman of love, humility, compassion, forgiveness, kindness, strength, Christ-confidence, and patience.  Underneath all the masks and pretending was a real, authentic Wonder Woman after all.

Guess what?  When you accept  the love of God about you, through believing Jesus Christ His Son, and His Holy Spirit lives within you, you are a Wonder Woman, too!

References: Philippians 4:13, Colossians 3:12-14, John 3:16

14 comments for “Will The Real Wonder Women Please Stand Up

1. Doris
    October 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

this is beautiful Julie I love it, life of pretends only help us not to be afraid but it doesn’t make us who we really want to be. God bless you for sharing this.
    Doris.

2. October 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I laughed when I read this title and of course had to click on it to read the text. I think we all learn at some point that there is no perfect “I can do it all by myself to perfection” woman or man. God is loving and supporting of his sheep but for us to grow in our spirit from time to time he has to take off the training wheels. It may smart a little while it’s happening but it’s an absolute wonder when you come through the other side. God bless you “Wonder Woman” and all our other sisters out there who walk in the light. ; 0 },

3. October 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Thank you ladies for your encouragement. I believe our God is calling us as women in Christ to pull off those masks and be who He is created us to be. We are new creations in Him if we are His girls so let’s show God’s light and love to the world. Wonder Women in Him!

4. October 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM

LOVE it!!!!

5. October 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Julie,
    Thank you for having the courage to be real with us. Your honesty, struggle, and love for your family and God is a beautiful testimony, not to mention refreshing!

Bless you,
    Michelle

6. October 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Thank you so much Michelle. What an encouragement you have been to me today.

7. October 19, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Thank you, Julie. You always have a way of opening up a subject. I really enjoyed your article.

8. October 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Thanks Kristine. You are a blessing.

9. October 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I discovered CWO today and I am so glad that I did! I really enjoyed your post.

10. October 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Thanks Heather. Please come back and join us again. God bless you.

11. October 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Every day I struggle with how much to share myself honestly with others! Thank you for the great reminder.

12. October 19, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Your welcome Jann and thank you for sharing yourself with us. Your writing is encouraging to me.

13. Tatiane
    October 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Hey, Julie…I absolutely LOVE your writing! Jesus has been using you to encourage me in a way you wouldn’t believe. I don’t have any kids yet, but I feel like being a wonder woman in every aspect of my life. I don’t think it’s entirely bad, as long as we do it because we want to and not to please others. We have to please God. And when we have to struggle to do so, there’s something wrong; at least, that’s how I feel. I admire your strength and your ability to make us realize what God wants from us as opposed to what everybody else makes us believe it’s the right thing to do. I started a blog and I must say that your articles have inspired me a lot! Thank you so much. God bless.

14. October 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I’ll be catching your blog Tatiane! Can’t wait to see what God is doing though you. Thanks for your kind uplifting words today. If you only knew…