Suffering with Depression

Hi,

I just found your website yesterday as I search for Christian Woman with Depression.  I found a very good blog that is helpful.  I need as many prayers as I can get.  I have a mood disorder and have had it for probably half my life.  I now have a psychologist who is working with me (I have a 2nd appt this week).  I am struggling with how to deal with this depression.  I am searching for God’s will in my life and my faith.   Can I beat this depression with my faith?  I would have to wean my 15 month old daughter, which I do not want to do, if I go on medicine.  I really need prayer and support through this.  I don’t want to let my family suffer any longer.

If you know of any Christian Woman groups in NW Indiana that I could hook up with that would be wonderful too!  I am in need of Christian friends.  I go to a church but have not bonded with anyone there.  I live in an area that I don’t really feel I belong in.  I am very health minded (believe it or not) and am taking a Dr Sears approach to raising my daughter.

Thank you in advance for your prayers…

Ellen

11 comments for “Suffering with Depression

1. March 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Dear Lord, please be with Ellen. She is suffering with depression, please release her from this pit of hell. I ask that You restore her happiness to her. Thank You Lord. Amen

2. March 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Dear God,

We have sister Ellen here who needs help with her mood disorder. She is searching for Your will in her life and her faith right now. God, please enlighten her and make her Yours. Draw her close to you so that she could feel Your amazing love. Show and tell her that You are stronger than the disorder and You knows that You are greater than that. Provide her the perfect companionship so that they could help and support each other. Lord, I know you can do this in Your permission. May her get the happiness from You and depend on You.

Thank you Lord.

Amen.

3. March 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hi Ellen,
    Just read your post. I hope you get well soon. I hope your sessions with your psychologist make a difference soon. Prayers will definitely help you and we all will pray for you.

I will also like to add that God helps those who help themselves. You have a little daughter to take of. Please make an extra effort to fight your depression. Listen and carefully follow what your doctor says. Try and do somethings that give you pleasure. Any hobby? Listening to music etc.

Also please try do some ‘yoga’, breathing exercises and simple ‘asanas’ that will help you cent percent.

You don’t have to take medications for life long but if you are required to take certain, right now, please do so.

Don’t worry you will become ok.

One of my friends, had depression due to stressful circumstances that she could not handle. She was on medications but those made her drowsy. She also has a son. Then she prayed and asked God to give her strength. God helped her and now she is running her own business and bringing up her son.

God will help you too.

4. Carrie
    April 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Oh, Ellen, I’ll be praying for you. It’s not true that “God helps those who help themselves.” It’s when we’re helpless and weak that He helps and strengthen us, if only we will call on the name of the Lord. If you need medication, especially if this has gone on for some time, it might be necessary – discuss with your counselor. Your health is important, so it may be that you need to wean and try the medication, especially if you’re having sleep issues, low energy, anxiety, no motivation, etc. I know that advice from others can sometimes be annoying, so I will only offer this: read the Psalms. They will speak to your heart, Ellen. Meanwhile, do what you need to do while recovering from this depression. Many will read your post here and pray. May God show you truth, love, and His grace.

5. June 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Its awful when you’re in that hole with depression, but I believe you can climb out of it, its a long journey but boy is it worth it, as the suffering and the experience in the long term becomes an asset. Would you agree?

6. June 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Over time the symptoms of depression got easier to handle as I developed an understanding of the disease, and tireless work on my self from a bunch of angles reaped enormous benefits. Would you agree with this approach?

7. Rachael
    July 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hi,Ellen
    This is several months after your post that I am reading it. Just wondering how you are feeling now and what seemed to help? I’ve been in similar circumstances. Found myself overwhelmed by depression but having a newborn.One of my favorite and most healing verses to me is Zephaniah 3:17 “The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save;He will rejoice over you with gladness,He will quiet you with His love,He will rejoice over you with singing.”
    God bless and keep you,Rachael

8. Johanna
    August 11, 2009 at 12:40 PM

for 29 years i have been suffering due to poverty,my problems are not going away. i am working but i am always going back to where i started.we stay in a shack,i am a breadwinner,my mother is very sick,my sisters could not finish school,they keep having many children. i dont progress at all.when she dies i will become the mother of all these children,povery and long suffering is ahead of me.i am so suicidal.help me.i cannot take it anymore.

9. Christine
    January 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I would really appreciate prayer.
    Over 7 months ago I was unedr severe spiritual attack. It was so consuming that I gave into it. I even hallucinated at one time. I was then admitted to a psychitric ward for over 3 months and put on medication which I still take.
    For the past 7 months I have not felt God’s presence but had a couple of dreams where I was praising God.
    Every morning I wake up feeling ‘nothingness’ and I would rathter die than be like this.
    Thankyou in advance,
    Chris

10. editor
    January 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Christine, please join us on the CWO forum. You can post this or another message under the “Prayer” or “Help Me” tab. We would love to pray with you and encourage you. This comment that you posted, is on an archived link, so it likely won’t be seen. Go to http://christianwomenonline.net There you will find tabs along the top – click on the Community tab and then on the Forum tab below it in the drop down menu. We will be watching for you. In the meantime, know that you are in my prayers, and God loves you very much. In Him, Jen

11. Dawn
    September 18, 2011 at 5:46 AM

I’ve been walking with the Lord many years now. I’ve struggled with depression my whole life. Depression and anxiety became severe after a mission trip to Africa that required me to take an anti-malaria drug. The following years were not what I had imagined for my Christian life. I felt as if I lived in a tunnel. I managed to get married and have children, by God’s precious grace, and after my last child the anxiety became debilitating. I was put on very high doses of anti depressents, nerve pills, and sleep pills. I had severe insomnia due to the anxiety that resulted from the depression!
    The last few years I’ve felt compelled in my heart that I could have been in perimenopause at a very young age, I’m 38 now. My doctor laughed at me but tested me anyhow with a big NO as my answer. I still wasn’t convinced. That lead me to study hormones and it turns out that I was very low in several mood controlling hormones. I began natural hormone replacement therapy, along with improved diet, and gentle exercise, I feel 100% better! If I’m sad, I cry only for moment instead of days. If I feel anxious, I can speak to the Lord. If my anxiety is physical, I do a gentle exercise of anykind. My sleep has improved, my energy has improved, the pain in my body has improved. I’m not where I need to be completely but I feel so much better! Find a doctor (particularly an ND) and get a saliva test for hormonal imbalance. Your doctor can then give you just the right amount of therapy that’s for you. I’ve heard that synthetic hormones are terrible so I advise against that. Hope this helps! Prayers and love!