Learning to Maintain Your Weight

Many of us will remember Candace Cameron Bure from ABC’s Full House, where we affectionately knew her as “DJ Tanner.” Today Candace is a role model to young women everywhere, with a testimony of growing up in Hollywood, while growing in faith with God.

This month, Candace gets candid on weight loss when a reader who is tired of yoyo dieting asks, “How can I maintain?”

I read the article about you in the December 22 issue of Us Weekly Magazine. What really caught my eye was the amount of weight that you have lost since Full House ended.

For a small person like yourself 22 lbs is a lot of weight. Throughout my adult life my weight has literally been a yoyo, up one year then down the next. Every time I lose a substantial amount of weight I manage to gain most of it back within about a two year period, then I have to start all over again. At 52 years old I can’t keep on doing that all the time.

For whatever reason I have not been able to maintain my weight once I lose it. I do know what I have to do. My question to you is, how can I maintain this weight loss? I know that I have to exercise and I have started walking after dinner. My problem is that once I lose the desired weight I go back to eating.

Once I treat myself to something I can’t get back on track. I would really appreciate it if you could share some of your secrets. I really need to hear from someone who has not only had success in losing, but also in keeping the weight off.

Weight loss is difficult and keeping it off can be even harder! Obviously, you know how to get it off–diet and exercise. Eating the right foods is key and staying on top of exercise is equally important. Your changes need to be a way of life. It’s OK to have a dessert here and there or a side of fries once in a while, but bringing those foods back into your daily diet will cause you to gain weight back and possibly more, as you already know.

I make sure that if I’m going to indulge in some goodies, the next day I’m on top of my wholesome diet. I’m conscience of what I put into my mouth every day, although Im not obsessive about it which can be just as dangerous.

Honestly, because I’ve been eating healthy fresh foods for so long, eating anything fried or processed makes my body feel bad. It may give me a headache, make me feel tired, or even sick. I don’t like feeling that way, knowing I can feel better just by the foods I’m eating.

If you know that it’s dangerous for you to eat your favorite unhealthy foods just once, then cut them out completely. I know for some people, it’s all or nothing. If that’s you, then refrain from eating all unhealthy foods. If however, you can exhibit self control and eat sweets in moderation, I would recommend this method. The later works for me as denying myself ALL sugar would make me go crazy! I prefer knowing I can have it, but choose not to, except on occasion. That is the exercise of my fruit of the spirit (self-control)!

I would encourage you to read Darlene Schacht’s column Live Well! She so wisely helps us keep the mental aspect of eating and exercising in line with God’s word.

Renewing your mind each and every day through prayer and reading the Bible can help you get a grip on not going back to your old habits. Commit to keeping your body a holy temple. God can give you the strength to do it. It will shine inside and out when you put the right things into it, both mentally and physically.

Visit Candid Candace for more Qs & As

10 comments for “Learning to Maintain Your Weight

1. marcy b. silver spring, md
    February 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Reading about Candace and Val while mentioning her weight loss days. It was easy for me as it is “yo-yo” all the time as we age.

2. February 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Great practical advice, and ESpecially the last paragraph! 😉

3. Sherry Lynn
    February 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Hello Candace i am interested in purchasing a bible but not sure which one to buy.I am having the most strongest urge to connect with God in my everyday life and i would like to start reading the bible.Please let me know.Your opinion and your happiness with God is very soothing.Thank you,Sherry

4. February 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Hey Sherry- There are lots of great bibles that emphasize different life applications. The bible I study from is a NKJ (New King James) John MacArthur Study Bible. I absolutely LOVE it because it’s packed with notes. As long as it’s the bible- you can’t really go wrong. I’d suggest going to a Christian book store and looking through several of them to see what fits your needs. And if anything- just get a standard bible (no notes)- and if you’re just starting out, you may want to start with an NIV version. It’s a little easier to read. 🙂 Hope that helps.

5. March 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Hello. Great job. I did not expect this on a Wednesday. This is a great story. Thanks!

6. March 10, 2009 at 2:42 PM

This was a great read, thanks. I love reading about weight loss tips, stories, and general info. It has always been a hobby of mine. Also, if anyone is interested, I recommend trying TriSlim to lose weight. It’s working great for me.

7. March 19, 2009 at 11:52 PM

American’s are so fat and lazy. I should know, I am one of em, lol. Well, I used to be, but now I’m getting better. I am trying my best to lose some weight.

8. December 8, 2009 at 5:28 AM

At 35, I had been warned of hypothyroidism, impending diabetes, and possibly a hysterectomy because of irregular cycles, and I was about at the end of my rope. I used to walk around with constant headaches, my diet was restricted because of ‘allergies’, and I got the stomach flu at least once a week. I could NOT stop gaining weight, no matter how much exercise I got or how much ‘cutting out’ of this or that, I just felt worse every day.
    Then one weekend, while visiting my sister, she just ‘happened’ to put this book on my nightstand, and the rest, as they say, is history.
    In 6 months, following Level 2 (give up carrots and beets? What are you, nuts?), I have lost over 20 pounds, my cycles are regular, my blood sugar is down to a healthy level, my thyroid has stabilized, and I feel FANTASTIC.
    The really great part of it is, I can eat eggs again! I can eat beef! I can drink milk and have tomatoes! I can even have chocolate, if I want it!
    People who complain they can’t have butter on their toast or oil on their pasta haven’t paid very close attention to Level 2, I eat Level 2, I have butter on toast once a week, I’ll put a tablespoon of oil in my pasta, but PIZZA? One day, just because I missed pizza (I really, really did), I ate sausage pizza. OOOOHHHH, it tasted good! And OOOOHHH, I wanted to go to the hospital and have my stomach pumped! Never again! Well, guess what, you can order it ‘No Cheese’ – and it’s really, really great! Even if you never try food combining, try a veggie pizza without cheese, you won’t be disappointed!
    I’d like to point something out to the people I see who say ‘Fit for Life’ is better – guess, what, I had ‘impending diabetes’, let me tell you, I heard it from a nutritionist and an internist, only ‘fit’ people should do ‘Fit for Life’, I was not to go near it, it would have carried me over the brink.
    And if you’ve ever read about it, it’s very confusing.
    Thank you, I’ll follow the advice of Europeans – who have been eating this way for decades.
    And thank you, Suzanne Somers, for saving my life.

9. February 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Please, can you PM me and tell me only some more thinks on this, I am really fan of your blog…Gets solved appropriately asap.

10. Carma
    May 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Candace,
    This is wonderful! I am wanting to start eating healthy, but it’s so hard when the rest of the family eats the cake and the candy all the time. I have started to watch what I eat and so far I’m doing good!