2009: The Year You Take off the Weight!

I woke up the other morning to a voice. I’m certain it was God’s. It wasn’t mine, it wasn’t my kids, and it wasn’t my dear husband waking me up—no, it was that still small voice that speaks to the heart, when we take time to listen.  It’s the voice that always lines up with the Word, and nudges us back on the path.

“It’s not a matter of habit or lifestyle. With you, it’s simply a matter of the heart,” He said. And I knew that He heard the grumble of my tummy, which quickly turned my thoughts toward visions of drive-throughs that danced in my head.

I was reminded of the verse in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians, when in chapter 6:12, he writes:

There’s a battle going on in our hearts, ladies, and Satan wants nothing more than to see us turn our eyes away from the Father and onto the idols that the world has to offer.

I’ve tried to change my habits, change the food, change my plan of action… even change the scale to a friendlier, less-honest, version, but when I see that none of those changes have helped—I come back to the issue at hand—the necessary change in my heart.

What do I long for? Is it a closer walk with Jesus that I crave, or a fudge brownie?For years it was the high I get from food. It still is some days—too many days unfortunately, which is why I need that constant nudge from the Father reminding me that He longs to be my heart’s desire—He alone.

Again that morning, I turned to my daily devotional where He clearly spoke to me again:

Work and prayer represent the two forces that will ensure your success. Your work and My work. For prayer, believing prayer, is based on the certainty that I am working for you and with you and in you. Go forward gladly and unafraid. I am with you. With men your task may be impossible, but with God all things are possible.

“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13.
(December 29, God Calling, by Two Listeners.)

I love it when God confirms that tug on our hearts, telling us that, YES—it was Him that spoke, and that He is taking each and every step beside us.
I’m not alone, and, sister, you’re not alone in this walk either. I hope you accept that. Do your part, and trust that He can, and will deliver you from the bondage that food has on you.
How can faith make a difference? The answer is two-fold:

1. When we live out our faith, His weapons–which are not of this world–become ours.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. –Ephesians 6:10-13.

1. And secondly, God promises to give His people a heart with new desires so that we won’t turn to the idols–like unhealthy obsessions with food–that we cling to:

Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so you will obey my laws and do whatever I command.
–Ezekiel 36:25-27, NLT

I pray that 2009 will be the year that you discover success—the year you take off the weight, and keep it off! You and He, working together—gladly and unafraid.

©2009, Darlene Schacht

Read more Live Well! articles… Click here

14 comments for “2009: The Year You Take off the Weight!

1. Shelby
    January 6, 2009 at 7:12 AM

It is true old satan works to side track us from our goal of getting more of Jesus in our lives.
    My motto for this year is “Victory Is Mine In 09.” I purposed in my heart to seek more of the Lord and His spirit in my life. I started the book of Genesis and will read the Bible through this year, pray more earnestly, and fast more. Fasting humbles one’s soul and in turn will bring us even more into the presence of our Lord.
    I have many petitions on the altar that have been there for years and 2009 will bring many of them to pass. He is able to bless us more abundantly than we can even ask or think. That is an awesome thought! He wants to bless us and it is indeed the Father’s good pleasure to give us the kingdom. Where is the kingdom of God? It is within us. It is the indwelling of His spirit in us that enables us to go through the many tests and trials old satan throws at us to cause us to fail. There is no failure in God. Victory IS MINE in 09!!!!

2. January 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Shelby,

Your words remind me of Paul’s writing–in many of his letters. He was always pressing on, fighting the good fight, and expecting that God could do exceedingly more than what he’d hope or expect. I love that verse, “exceedingly abundantly, above all that we ask or think…” it’s one of my favorite!

On to victory–body, spirit, and soul!

3. January 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM

The Lord was just speaking to me in the same manner, and it became clearer in church this past Sunday. I want to know Him, be closer with my Lord and Savior Jesus, and do the work He would have me do. Although I’ve had slight proddings I get caught up in the “How?”, which is quickly followed by all the stresses of my life responsible for leaving me with a trapped, tied-down feeling, finances, low food, tiny tiny! apartment for me and my child. I know I have much to offer, and a testimony like no other. I’m strong, and in Him I can do anything. I’ve had dreams but don’t know how to get there. I trust the Lord will at some point show the way.
    Thank you for your post.

4. January 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Sheri, I’m terribly dyslexic, and nearly didn’t graduate school because of my English credit. I required a tutor in class, and never finished a book, until I was over thirty. I never imagined in a million years that writing a book, a column, and editing CWO would be the path that I’d be walking on. Writing alongside published authors, and celebrities like Candace? Not in a million and one years.

I believe I was healed by immersing myself in the Bible. King James Version of all things! Try that when you’re dyslexic. 🙂

That’s one example of how God can change our life incredibly, and in unexpected ways.

5. January 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Great article, I remember I use to turn to food in time of stress and hardship. I would drown my sorrows in a shake. These things are not bad in of themselves, but when we replace them with turning to God then it becomes an idol(like you mentioned). Thanks for these great reminders at the beginning of a New Year.

6. January 6, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Oh precious sister Darlene! This is just wonderful! This is one of the main reasons why I LOVE the Live Well concept so much. It’s not based on ME, but on CHRIST and what He can do, not what I can do.

Wanna hear something funny? Just today, I was craving Jack-in-the-box burgers and fries and was just about to get it, when I actually stopped to pray about it. And guess what God told me? That I would not be stewarding my time well by doing this. I’d better serve Him by going home, fixing a healthy sandwich and completing the work His given me for today!

It sounds silly to consult the Lord about a burger and fries, but really, our every breath belongs to God so shouldn’t we consider Him in all things? Just a thought. ♥

Love you precious sister,
    Sunny

7. kesarin
    January 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM

thank you so much.

for years I have been trying to get up an extra hour early in the morning to worship the lord. I wanted him to help me control my eating habit. each morning I wake up and then go back to sleep. I was just so lazy. I want to put the Lord first in my life each day; but I failed everyday.

your article made me realize that I need a new “heart” from God. I want the “weapons” from God you mentioned in your article. I don’t have strength to lose weight on my own, but God can and will help me.

Please pray for me that I will put God frist and pull my self out of bed each morning to worship him.

Kesarin

8. January 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Waaaaay back in the day, my mom had a book called “How Much Prayer Should a Hamburger Get?” I used to wonder what the answer was, and now I think it means that nothing is too small, or too silly to bring to the Lord–even Jack in the box! LOL

9. January 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I have to confess that I slipped up about the middle of 2008 and then just went steadily downhill from there.
    I just went looking for live well wednesdays and it wasn’t there anymore. I will come here and read your good words once a week and other’s comments. I have my feet on the right path, pray that I stay there. The last dream I remember from the night was of a big juicy steak and I prefer fish. Waking up hungry is a good thing as long as I choose wisely.

10. January 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Reading this article is right in line with the post I just wrote on my weight loss blog today. I can’t do this without the Lord. “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Phillipians 4:13).

11. Kay
    January 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM

When I was delivering newspapers last night, I was eating a Little Debbie snack cake and I thought, wow how can something so bad for me taste soo good! Then It was like the Lord answered me and said “Sin tastes good for a while, but then you have to deal with the consequences”. That was like a wake up call for me….its so true-sin is good for a season..and MY sin is over-eating–but then eventually you will pay for it, and in my case by gaining weight or having my health get worse. I need to remember what the Lord said to me and always choose the right foods.

12. January 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Thank you so much for this website and your insight for the new year. Although I have struggled for years with my weight, I have not thought my of my attitude towards food as idol worship. (in the sense that I put food before God) I believe this attitude change will make a difference for me. Also, I have never thought of this attitude towards food as a spiritual battle, but I know you are right…it is Satan’s job to make us feel like failures. Because he knows our weaknesses, he can pick on us easily in an area we have not committed to the Lord.
    In my resolution to be a healthy weight, I have decided to commit this problem to Him because I know He can help me be victorious. Praise the Lord!

Dale

13. January 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I just sat here and cried as I read this just prior to getting in the shower and getting ready for church. I am aching in my heart and find that I over eat most of my life to fill the aches – no matter what the trauma or perceived pain is. I have been to prayer counselling, regular counsellors, dieticians, etc – and when I read your column this morning it has come the closest to touching that spot that aches so bad than ever before. Thank you for allowing me to “stumble” across your work and may this and the grace of God set me on a new path today so I can live to see my grandchildren grow older!

14. January 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Deanna, just as you were writing your letter, I was writing one to Candace Cameron telling her about my shopping trip yesterday and the new jeans I bought. This is what I wrote:

It was so great to wear averaged-sized pants, and have them look great. I remember about 10 years ago that I was limited to few of the mall stores because I was sized 14. I can’t believe it! I really didn’t know how to loose weight. I didn’t realize that food volume was my issue, and so I tried to go around the back way, and change the food to salads, cottage cheese, etc. I always gave up. I also tried exercising like crazy, but without the food consumption under control it didn’t budge.
    ————————

I’m so thankful that God led me through this journey to a new discovery where the focus is on Him and off of the food. I’m still on the journey, and have to be cautious every day that I don’t return to food for my binge. I always have to tell myself “That’s enough.” When I’m on the verge of a self-gratifying binge.

His grace is sufficient for us.