“It was one of those perfect English autumnal days
which occur more frequently in memory than in life…”
—Author P.D. James
Oh, may it not be so!
Autumn gives us every opportunity to live an authentic life. Yet how easy it is to miss the little things in the pursuit of a “perfect” life! An authentic life treasures beautiful moments in an imperfect world. We must discipline ourselves to linger even for a moment on those things so they will become emblazoned in our memory like a snapshot in a tattered scrapbook.
20 Little Things To Treasure in Autumn
1. Quiet dinners by the fire
2. Reading mystery novels in darkened rooms
3. Flannel sheets at the end of a long day
4. Candles Flickering
5. Smelling cinnamon, oranges & cloves
7. Roasts, potatoes & carrots
8. Fluffy feather beds on a cold night
9. Watching movies snuggled in soft blankets
10. Cozy socks
11. Pie in the oven
12. Warm crackling wood stoves
13. Squash with buttered brown sugar
14. Chili and corn bread smothered in honey
15. Wind blowing through leaves
16. Glow of lamps through windows
17. Laughter filling a room
18. Scrabble and popcorn
19. Caramel apples
In the simple daily discipline of meditating on thankfulness, for even the tiniest details of God’s provision, we cultivate an “attitude of gratitude.”
©2008, Melissa Michaels
Praise God for simple things, precious blessings and treasured moments!
This article was adapted from The Inspired Room blog originally published on September 18, 2008.